Error: symbol 'grub_term_highlight_color' not found. Entering rescue mode.

Yesterday, I upgraded my system to the latest Ubuntu 14.04 core, Trusty Tahr, from Xubuntu 13.10. And after rebooting, I got this error:

Error: symbol 'grub_term_highlight_color' not found.
Entering rescue mode.
grub rescue >



To fix this, the only way I know is to re-install grub2. So, I booted into a live cd and used the boot-repair utilities:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && (boot-repair &)


I just used the Recommended repair option from the above window. The utilities led me through several steps including instructed me to run some commands to remove grub, then re-install it. After the restoring process finished, I restarted and everything back to normal. \m/

For more information about boot-repair, please read this manual page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Comments